Thursday 3 July 2014

Introduction

“They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.”
Andy Warhol

The Arts have always been a huge passion of mine, before deciding on an English and Art History Degree in UCD , I considered a career in visual communications and completed a foundation year art course in Limavady, Northern Ireland. I got the opportunity to exhibit work in the local cultural centre and developed an interest to follow a careers in arts management, since then I have worked towards this goal through my own independent hobbies, travels, education and voluntary work.

This blog will document all my exhibition visits, interviews with up and coming artists and my internship with Fidget Feet Aerial Dance Theatre, an aerial dance theatre company who tour nationally and internationally with spectacular indoor and outdoor shows which stretch the boundaries of several art forms through music, circus, dance and video art.

One of the great aspects of the arts is its diversity and universal appeal, whenever I visit a new place I like to check out their galleries, living in Dublin has allowed me to regularly visit some of my favourite Irish galleries such as the National Gallery of Ireland, Hugh Lane Gallery, IMMA and RHA Gallery. I am also a part time Art Invigilator at Void Derry. Void is an artist –led contemporary art space which houses 2 galleries, 6 studios and an education area. It exhibits established Irish & International artists and provides a community gallery for local groups and organisations. I love helping out at our exhibition opening nights and meeting new visitors everyday, Void has created many opportunities for me just last year I was invited to the opening of the Turner prize when it was hosted in Derry as part of city of culture 2013 and so I am very grateful to be part of the team.

The art community is a very important factor in  the success of art and culture, I am fascinated by art techniques and what inspired pieces, in my blog I will feature interviews with  artists from all creative forms,  If anyone is interested or knows of anyone that would like to feel free to get in contact with me. The development of new ideas and innovations is abundant in every artist and coming from an art background myself I want to showcase their hard work and ideas to my best potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment